Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library Interview
We had the pleasure of speaking with Paul Brennan, the Circulations Director of Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library in Topeka, Kansas.
Paul gave us a valuable insight into the variety ways in which a modern library can interact and engage with its community. As well as unique marketing campaigns, Paul explains how addressing fundamental steps in the patron experience can make a significant influence on the desirability of the library service. "We promised no lines. There were no lines. We promised and easy system. We gave them an easy system."
2.3 million items
- smartlocker at local HyVee grocery store
- smartserve™ 400 kiosks with credit card & coin/bill payment
- smartgate™ 400 security gate
- smartadmin™ central management software
Key tips from Paul:
- Getting 98-99% self-service usage from kiosks
- Closed library for 5 days to tag entire collection
- Worked on positive PR campaign for public to know why they were closed and what was happening
- Decreased 15 minute wait time for checkout to no wait